U/9 Yellow

Coach – Josh Mc Innes

Team Manager – Jade Sheffield

Training Information – Kevin Bartlett Reserve, Wednesday 4.15pm

Credits and Thanks to Greg Thompson for providing the following commentary


As several  large sporting events were taking place around the globe – The Tour De France – Wimbledon the WSL Corona Open at J-Bay, the Richmond Yellow were preparing for their own big challenge against a strong, tall and determined Camberwell Sharks.

As the Sharks took to the field, it became apparent that there had been a mix up in what ground their U16 team was meant to be at, as a few of the Sharks boys were seen getting out of the driver’s side of the car! In short they were big lads.

However as the temperature seemed to drop about five degrees just as the siren sounded to start the first quarter the Tigers looked ready. In what can be described as a Mick Fanning like approach the Sharks were on the wrong end of a Tigers tackling frenzy.

The opening minutes had Pacey, Cutts, Karutz and Barrington busy in the backline but they were able to steady the ship as they put the ball back into the mid field and allowed Thompson, Lara, and the T.N.T combo of Assender and Doull to do what they do best and send the ball inside forward thirty.

At the eight minute mark, a run from the middle saw a slick Doull give off to Thompson who found a sharp looking McInnes who in turn found Ollie Smith resulting in a goal to open up the Tigers account on what now felt like a sub zero degree morning.

The Sharks bagged 02.03 for the quarter – one goal the result of a pretty loose free kick inside their forward thirty but we don’t talk about the umpires – to Richmond’s one goal straight.

The start of the second quarter had the Captain James Grieve lead by example from the backline and keep the circling Sharks at bay.

The level lifted again as both teams put the competition on notice leading into full time full scored full bore football come 2018 with all and sundry applauding their efforts.  Pacey,  Barrington,  Karutz  and Cutts did their best to secure the mid – field  attack and some dominant play from Little, Smith, McInnes and Grieve kept things tight for most of the quarter.

Thompson showed some pace and a set of clean heels as he split the middle and hit the board for a major. With a tough quarter at its end Lara continued his goal kicking ways and sent a beautiful looking drop punt straight through the big sticks.

Unfortunately  the tall man like bodies of Camberwell  had the run of play and the benefit  of a strengthening southerly breeze as they kicked five for the quarter to Richmond’s two goals two.

As the second half got underway a few 5’oclock shadows started to appear on the faces of the Camberwell  Sharks  team, the young boys from Richmond took no notice and stuck tackle after tackle in what was an epic display of David vs Goliath football.

Little looked up, woke up and fired up as he put on the pressure we’ve  become accustomed to over the last few weeks and helped prevent a blowout on the scoreboard.

The Tigers were on top, although the scoreboard said otherwise,  but forget the scoreboard,  this game took on a whole new meaning for McInnes’ men, this game was about heart,  about passion,  about leaving it all out there for your mates  and the Tigers delivered in spades.

The final quarter illustrated what this group of young men have been doing all year – believing – believing in each other,  getting to know each other , playing as a Champion Team not a Team of Champions and the scoreboard reflected an epic comeback for the ages.

It’s hard to single out any player in that final term as  pressure came from everywhere some mentions go to  Assender, Smith, TNT, Lara, Barrington who  hit the scoreboard, Doull’s unwavering pressure through the mid-field with Karutz, Cutts et all having a crack.

The final siren sounded and coach McInnes couldn’t hold back the applause for his charges as greeted his boys with a sign of respect, admiration and belief that this only the beginning!


Opposition Award : Thomas Assender

Coaches Award : Thomas Doull

Chicken and Chips : Ford Thompson.

It was a cool yet sun bathed morning that welcomed our boys to the far reaching slightly browned grass
of the Surrey Park Panthers. A depleted Richmond list hit the park, as the newly welcomed school
holiday program resulted in a few of the squad heading off on their annual sabbatical to places far
warmer than the crisp Melbourne suburban ovals.
The young Tigers stepped up and had a day out in what can be best described as a turning point in a
season that has shown real promise leading into 2018. Both teams greeted the contest head on with
little or no regard for their personal safety as it was body on body for most of the day. A sickening head
clash in the 3rd quarter leaving Jack Little sidelined and diagnosed with a mild concussion underlined
the way both teams went about their football.
The first quarter began with Lara dominating the ruck and tapping to Thompson who cleared to Smith
up forward in the first two minutes resulting in the Tigers first major of the day and set the tone for
what was to be another scoring onslaught from the boys on the island.
Little bagged two for the quarter. Pacey and McInnes and Cutts shut down the forward thirty of the
opposition restricting them to three behinds and keeping a quick moving Black and Yellow outfit ahead
on the scoreboard 03.02.20 to 00.03.03 at the first break.
As both Teams returned to the middle for the start of the second quarter, there were whispers around
the ground as to why coach McInnes set up with a three man mid –field, with the understanding we
were down to an eleven man group. Pacey, Cutts and Karuts played tall and covered the loss.
After a couple of early goals by SPP the Tigers responded and piled on a five goal quarter with
Thompson, Lara and Assender having their way in the Tigers forward thirty. The Richmond backline was
tight and Doull was everywhere, a McInnes shakedown kept the ball in play and with Runting doing the
mop up work the Tigers pressure was outstanding. The three man mid field paid off and we went into
the main break via a Thompson late goal that sent the ball into the 3rd tier of the stadium. 08.04.52 to
02.03.15. Lara slotted home two and Thompson three.
As previously mentioned the third quarter was a physical affair with Little going down hard, Cutts rolling
an ankle and Assender cramping up after some dogged gut running. This however had no effect on the
quality of the play with the ball being worked from defence by Doull with a clever switch of play cross
ground to Smith who picked out Pacey for a play of the day goal. One more from Runting and the Tigers
pushed out to an eight goal lead not that anyone took notice of the score.
It was more of the same for the remaining quarter with Smith having a “day out” in the forward line
booting four to take his tally to five for the day. Surry Park managed a late major but the damage was
done. When asked what he thought of the performance coach McInnes commented “it’s a pleasure to
watch the development each week of these boys, they listen and learn and that’s all we can ask for”.
Well said and well played.
Opposition Award : Jack Little
Coaches Award : Gregory Cutts
Footy Cards : Thomas Assender.



After the Lightning pace of the Round Robin the previous week our boys found themselves back on their
home ground eager to run out four quarters of full time football.
The Kew Comets arrived seemingly unaware of the ladder pressure that this game carried, looking
composed and eager to get underway.
The horn blew and we were on. The Tigers hit the packs hard and the mid field set up of Thompson,
Lara, Grieves and the T N T pairing of Doull and Assender was proving a good combination, as they
moved the ball quickly into attacking 30. The Comets however, came to play and kept our boys honest
with strong pressure in their forward half resulting in a 01.03.09 to 00.01.01 first quarter in favour of
the Comets.
The second quarter opened up with a flurry of yellow and brown all over the park and try as we might it
was all one way traffic for the first few minutes. Some inspirational tackling by Cutts and Smith in
defence kept up the morale and a one handed grab by Karutz had the crowd on their feet. The ruck
contest was a tight one with big Barlow “Busta “ McCarthy channeling the 2015 season of Todd
Goldstein’s all Australian performance. The work paid off deep in the quarter with a tap down to Karutz,
Karutz to Grieve to Cutts to Thompson – GOAL to give the Tigers a sniff going into the main break.
Special mention also goes to Ollie Smiths hanger that had the high flying Tony Modra thinking of making
a come back.
The third quarter was a real arm wrestle with neither team hitting the scoreboard with any impetus.
Doull was menacing with Grieve and Cutts in everything. Thompson and Smith were finding each other
on a regular basis. Alexander Black put his marking skills on display and pulled down another hanger to
rival the earlier grab by Ollie Smith. Neither team could put the ball through the middle of the tall sticks
with a minor to both sides leaving the unofficial score going into the final quarter at 03.05.23 to
As the players looked to coach Josh for their positions on the board, Gregory Cutts offered one simple
piece of advice “Just go to where you haven’t been before”. Who said footy was hard.
The final quarter saw the score board being lit up with Comets peppering the forward 30m with several
entries but inaccurate kicking was a cause of concern for their coaching staff. Down the other end of the
ground Jack Little and Ollie Smith were having a field day with Smith booting two majors . Thompson,
Gray and Doull had control over the mid field and allowed the forwards to get some clean ball inside
The Comets wouldn’t lie down and kept coming putting the backline under enormous pressure.
Unfortunately they bagged two goals of their own and with four minors to add to the total they ran out
eventual “unofficial” winners 03.03.21 to 05.09.39 in what was called by coach Josh McInnes an
“inspired performance”.
A gutsy last quarter saw Jack Little take out the opposition medal with Bailey Runting getting the nod
from the coach.
Oliie Smiths two goals and great mark was enough to see him take home the Chicken & Chips with Albie
McInnes receiving the play a day award for his trade mark defensive work



The weather gods smiled on us again as we were greeted by perfect conditions for the much anticipated Richmond V Hawthorn clash at “The C”. With the ground in superb condition, the dew drops dried slowly as both teams took the field for what promised to be, at least on paper, an epic dual of two teams at the peak of their powers.

The Tigers hit the ground running with a Thompson clearance  sending the ball inside 30 in the first minute of the game. Citizens had their defence zoned well and the ball came straight back with interest, with some good ball movement resulting in an early score for the away side.

Back in the middle the clearance work from Lara, Smith, Gray, Thompson and Cutts wasn’t enough to keep the Citizens at bay. Alexander Black put his body on the line when it counted but the Hawks dominated with a 3.3 to 0  first term that put the Tigers on the back foot.

An early goal to the Hawks at the start of the 2nd quarter looked ominous and with a mini version of Callan Ward running riot the yellow and brown dominated play.

A great rucking performance from Barlow showed signs of things to come and with a passage of play that involved Smith to McInnes to Doull out of defence – The Tiges looked up and about.

The highlight of the quarter came in the final second as Black sent a 40m barrel from the mid field that bounced through for a goal and the tigers got their first major for the game.

With Lara, Gray Runting, Barrington all standing up in the 3rd quarter we managed to stop the bleeding.  Smith to Thompson was clean and the ball headed in the right direction.

After some tidy ball use from Grieve. A 3rd quarter highlight was Thomas D to Thomas A –  or the T N T show –  as this reporter likes to call it resulting in our second goal for the game. McInnes and Little kept the ball moving and some good work over head from Little prevented the Hawks from a late goal.

A final term saw the Tigers improve on what could have been a blowout, with determination, courage and a belief in each other they played their best quarter of footy this season and put the rest of the competition on notice with more to come.

Ollie Smith took out the opposition medal with a 4th quarter to remember with a courageous Barlow taking home the coaches award.




As mothers all over our great city awoke to the beaming faces of their kin, perched on the edge of their beds, overcome with the excitement of presenting handmade gifts that should be passed down through generations to come.

There were no roses in vases on a stable table laden with steaming coffee and bacon and eggs for our Mums, we side stepped that ritual and moved onto a far more important historical past time , junior footy.

It was a cool and crisp slightly foggy morning that greeted the praised mothers and (fathers) or is that Parent 1 and Parent 2, as they stepped out onto the freshly mown grass of Burwood Reserve – Top.

The siren rang to start the 1st quarter and for a minute we all expected the Flintstones to run out onto the field – you had to hear it. The game was underway.

Richmond got out early with a classic Pacey run from defence  through the mid field to Doull that resulted in a goal. Ball winning efforts by Nelson Karutz and James Grieve and Thomas Assender kept the tigers forward line alive but the Ashburton press was strong, resulting in a 2 goal to 1 first quarter.

The center bounce was dominated by Barlow McCarthy in the second quarter, unfortunately the opposition had some run and carry through the mid-filed that resulted in a 3 goal to 1 second term. Thompson, Smith, Assender,  McInnes, Little and Black with Barrington a stand out kept the tigers in it as the siren sounded for the half time break.

The south breeze kicked in and the temperature dropped by a cool 2 degrees as the third term got underway. Runting, Gray, Little and Cutts kept the forward pressure alive and we were unlucky not to go into the 3 quarter break with a slight lead.

The 3 quarter time snakes fired up the boys as they came out firing in the fourth. A three goal 4th quarter by the Richmond Tigers showcased what our boys had been putting on the park all day. This can be surmised in one word. EFFORT.

McInnes to Cutts to Karutz to goal was champagne football and the corks kept popping as Richmond dominated with a 3 goal to 1 fourth term.

Josh McInnes was awash with praise for his boys stating that “ They did everything we practiced at training and more” that says it all, as we prepare for Round 5.

Opposition Medal :  Angus Barrington

Richmond Medal : Nelson Karutz

Chicken & Chips : Thomas Assender


30th April 2017 8.45am



A mild and cloudy morning greeted our U9 chargers as they boarded their return trip transport and followed the path of the hot air balloons, east,  off the Island to take on the juggernaut that is the Kew Comets.


An early jump by the Comets saw the Tigers backline under immense pressure but the quintuplet of  Miles Pacey, Alexander Black, James Grieve, Barlow McCarthy and our Captain for the game, Paulo  Lara,  held fast. It wasn’t until the 8min mark of the 1st quarter that the comets posted a major. It was back to the middle and a fired up Tom Doull wanted some payback. Tough out of the middle and quick hands allowed Thomas Assender to head forward and with Albie McInnes lurking around packs it looked like the Tigers were headed inside thirty but some mop up roving by a fast No.22 Comet saw the ball head back the other direction and pierce the big sticks. Siren sounds.


A rousing 1st quarter speech from the coach (Josh McInnes) had our boys ready for the task ahead. With a rotated mid field consisting of Gregory Cutts, Oliver Smith, Jed Gray, Angus Barrington and Ford Thompson, defence turned to offence and the Tigers pushed hard. Cutts had some early ball and the Tigers moved inside thirty for the first time in the game . Lara got his mitts to it and it looked like a captains goal was imminent but the kick resulted in a behind. The ball movement from the backline resulted in a contested pack grab by Thompson but the Comets intercept on the kick got them back inside 30 and hitting the scoreboard once more. With no score reviews required the short quarter ended and the boys headed in for some oranges (snakes).


The 3rd quarter kicked off with the captain taking charge, Lara hunted the footy. The mid field of Black, Pacey, Grieve, McCarthy and Lara got the ball moving  in the right direction and with Doull, McInnes, Runting, Little and Alexander all providing options up forward, it was only a matter of time before the Tigers posted their first major.

Thomas Alexander got on the end of some handy link up work and slotted one for the yellow and black. The boys got around him and the ball headed back to the middle. McInnes put intense forward pressure on the opposition and with a fired up Doull getting plenty of the ball things started clicking for the Tigers. McCarthy was making his presence felt and Little found some pace, but the Comets had the answers and posted a three goal to one third quarter going into the final change.


Some clever coaching saw a different line up across the ground as Josh tried out some new positions going into the last quarter. A great link up from the backline, Cutts to Pacey to Thompson resulted in the second major for the Tigers. The Comets went hard from here on and peppered the forward  30m, Cutts was everywhere and had a inspirational last quarter with support from the hard working backline. At the final siren the Comets had the win but the Tigers held their heads high as they shook hands with the opposition walked off the ground proud of their achievements.

Opposition Medal  : Thomas Assender

Team Medal : Gregory Cutts

Umpires Award (Chicken & Chips) Alexander Black